Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, January 5, 2009

1873-CC WITHOUT ARROWS QUARTER SOLD

Hear Ye!, Hear Ye!,

One of the five-known 1873-CC Without Arrows Liberty Seated quarters (PCGS MS-63) just sold on the auction block on January 5, 2009 in Orlando Florida (hosted by Stack's). The lucky new owner shelled out a stunning $431,250.00, which includes the 15% buyers fee. This is, if I'm not mistaken, a record price for this date.






Alas, the new owner tis not I...so for second place, I hope it's someone I know or a fellow member of our C4OA. Check out our voting poll for predictions on prices realized. I voted in the $300,000 plus category, so I finally got one right!

2 comments:

Carson-ite said...

You're right Michael, this does establish a new record price for an example of this date in any grade (just think, what the MS-66 specimen might bring!).

Unfortunately, this particular piece was not purchased by a C4OA member. It was, however, purchased by a very nice fellow who is a very deserving chap. I wrote about him in "The Mint on Carson Street."

Carson-ite said...

Just as a sidenote; this is the Eliasberg specimen, and it sold for $187,500 at the famous sale of that numismatic luminary's collection back in 1997.