Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Lincoln coin show

I went to a coin show over the weekend. It's interesting what you can find at coin show. One coin dealer had a 1890 tail bar but it looked like somebody polished in on a buffing wheel!! I think the dealer knew he had a lemon. I hope no one buys this coin. Then another dealer had a 1872 "CC" eagle in a slab that had been cleaned it was a nice looking coin, It's too bad because the coin loses half it's value. There was a nice display of gsa dollars all graded by ngc the coins that stood out were the 79 "CC" and the 91"CC".

3 comments:

The Drummer said...

I love going to different coin shows. Mostly I see incredible coins, but sometimes I see coins like the "lemons' JS mentions. I have to wonder if some dealers take their unsold inventory that perhaps has languished on their shelves for long periods of time ("lemons"), to these shows in order to unload them upon the unwary.

GarryN said...

I agree. Knowing a lemon when you see one is part of the enjoyment I think! Collectors have to be especially careful now in this market. The price of lemons goes up with the legitimate inventory.

GarryN said...

However, I struggle with whether I should buy the coin sometimes. We know that there are very few Tail Bar specimens out there. If a knowledgeable buyer could get a good deal on such a coin maybe it is worthwhile. Then consider giving it away to a new collector in the family or another budding collector. Any thoughts?